Saturday, November 1, 2014

Quarantined or in the Closet?

I believe that fear is the root of evil doing in this world. That if we can let go of fear we can begin to experience a life of peace.

Kaci Hickox, the Maine nurse that refused to stay home after she was on “volunteer quarantine” has been given the OK by a Maine judge. Hickox has no symptoms and tested negative for Ebola after she returned home from volunteering in West Africa with Doctors Without Borders.

Hickox stated that her quarantine had no merit 
and was a “violation of her human rights” and was merely “putting fear over science.” After the judge gave her the OK she said it was the first step to “overcome the fear” of Ebola. “There are so many aid workers coming back. It scares me to think how they’re going to be treated and how they’re going to feel” Hickox said.

Isaiah 41:10 "do not fear, for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." The prophet Isaiah wrote during a time of political upheaval. The nations were seeking an answer from God on who controls history. This scripture is significant in showing that God protects and provides for God's people. 

Fear-mongering and putting people in quarantine is an all too common experience for many LGBT people. A recent survey by the Human Rights Campaign says fifty-three percent of LGBT workers in the country hide their sexual identity at work and thirty-five percent feel compelled to lie about their sexual identity at work.

Those LGBT people who are forced to live a closeted life for one reason or the other now have a glimpse of hope.

This week, Apple CEO, Tim Cook publically acknowledged that he was gay: “While I have never denied my sexuality, I haven’t publicly acknowledged it either, until now. So let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.”

As a woman of faith, I continually find it amazing how often I hear about God from the mouths of those who are LGBT.  It reminds me that it is not God who causes the pain. It is Christians who cause the pain. The horrific comments that are written as “representing God” are just sickening. We must remind ourselves that we are all God's people and are protected and provided for. We do not need to live in fear. When we wait for God, our strength will be renewed.

Religion is most likely the main reason why LGBT people remain in the closet. Last month an article titled, Keeping it Real in the Closet explains why Downtown Boy cannot tell his mother. Downtown Boy is a pseudonym for a thirty-something gay man. In his article he says he is “in the closet but not hiding.” He is not trying to be someone he is not, but he explains that religion prevents him from causing his mom guilt. “My mother is a religious woman who comes from an entirely different generation. She would look at homosexuality through religious lenses, rather than science and logic. She’s the most unselfish woman I know and she would never disown me. Nonetheless, she would blame herself for who I am today.  

Guilt along with fear is yet another way religion can control the belief systems of the people. And guilt plays a role in why Downtown Boy is known only as Downtown Boy.

Similarly, we find the same story from the nurse in Maine.  “It is a violation of human rights” and it is “putting fear over science.” And why do LGBT people live a life in the closet? Just ask the nurse, “It scares me to think how they’re going to be treated and how there are going to feel.”

LGBT “issues” are not really religious issues. It is a fear issue; it is fear that is backed up by a couple of misused Bible scriptures.  None of us as human beings should be forced to live life in a closet; quarantined from the rest of society.  Live without fear for God will uphold you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment